Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The process behind Freakish kid's awesome "cluckie the vampire chicken"

When I started out playing around with animation as a hobby some years ago it was absolutely 2D that interested me most. And since I'm not a very good drawing artist - can't keep volume from drawing to drawing ! - I soon found 2D CG animation to be the most suitable way to go for me. I have been using a software called Anime Studio Pro (former known as 'Moho') and found it to be quite nice app, at an affordable price too. It's kind of pity that so few professionals use it... If you look it up on youtube you mostly find amateur's clips... which aren't too convincing.

But there are exceptions!

This is a good example of good use of the software AND a visual style that I like, "Cluckie the vampire chicken" by Freakish Kid:



There are clips in better resolution at Freakish kid's site. I highly recommend you go there and watch them instead!

And when you have watched the clip go here and read the story behind the production! Very interesting, I promise!


I first became aquainted with the work of this studio when I was browsing the forum for users of "Anime studio Pro".  (BTW, don't let the name fool you, it's not just for anime, it's good for all kind of styles.  It's a nice 2D / CG vectorbased animation system with bonerigged models, FK and IK, which makes it a kind of tool somewhere in between traditional 2D and 3D CG apps. A little lacking on the pipeline bells & whistles, more suitable for small studios).

Freakish kid (former "greykid") is one of the best examples of good, professional use of this piece of software that I know of.  They are based in London, UK and in Hungary and I know that they have produced a lot of stuff for Nickelodeon.

No comments: